Tuesday 27 January 2009

File Systems

I was reading Coding for a Living: A Pattern for Fluent Syntax and started a reply that went so off topic and was too long in my opinion for a comment, so I decided to post it here.

I couldn't agree more with what Richard wrote about the shortcomings of the file system. Folders for files are fine when you have a few files, but I repeatedly find myself wanting folders organised for different points of view.

For example, say you file quotations and invoices on your server. Are the top level folders the company name, the status of the client (Archived, Active, Potential)? There will be a greater need, as we produce more electronic files, to view the files by their categorisation rather than their location within folders. Most of the time I don't want a Windows Explorer, I want a Windows File Finder where I can say I want to see the files tagged with "Invoice" and "Acme Corporation" and "created between October and December 2007". Sound like SQL to you? That's where I hope the file system will go one day.

2 comments:

  1. I want built-in version control as well. Kinda like a (not crap) SharePoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this pretty much exists with the fancy searching which is dreadful in Vista but pretty good in windows 7.

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2sku8l

    of course, auto tagging and the application knowing its an invoice, thats the future

    ReplyDelete